Uncategorized

Professor Meow Pullover is complete!

Just in time for kiddo’s 11th birthday, I finished the Professor Meow pullover!

Professor Meow, missing a whisker
A very happy new 11 year old in her new kitty sweater.

Pattern: Professor Meow Pullover from Knitpicks
Yarn: Knitpicks Wonderfluff in Goji Heather and Beehive Heather
Needles: Size 10.5 circulars
Time to knit: About 3 weeks, including ripping and reknitting the front

Just about as soon as I finished it, kiddo put it on, and promptly managed to lose one of the whiskers. She’s been wearing it pretty much every day since her birthday this Saturday, but I got her to leave it home with me today, so now Professor Meow is once again fully whiskered.

Professor Meow is complete!

I made a few modifications to the pattern to make it suit my kid even better. First off, because we both really like the look of a split hem that’s slightly longer in the back, I made sure to add that detail:

Split hem.

The pattern calls for you to do the exact same shaping on the back and front neck, but I knew that my daughter would prefer a lower neckline in the front than in the back, so I did the front neckline shaping differently than called for in the pattern, and added 1.5″ of 2×2 ribbing, finishing it off with a tubular bind-off to match the tubular cast-on I used at the bottom hems. I like the way it worked out!

Neckline modification

I’m glad I was able to finish this sweater for her birthday. It was a close call, and I was up a little later than I meant to be the night before her birthday, but in the end, it all worked out. I’m not sure how well the Wonderfluff is going to hold up, long term (it’s already pretty darned fuzzy!), but my daughter LOVES how soft it is, and how light the sweater ends up being, too. It layers really nicely over a lot of the clothes she likes to wear.

I’m also getting back on the right track with the other gift project: the pair of Joy Mitts that I’m knitting for a friend. It’s been quite an adventure of mishaps – first, I realized I’d knit the increases wrong on the second of the mitts, so ripped back and reknit those, and then after finishing the second mitt (which I suppose actually makes it the first mitt?, realized I’d knit too few rows of colorwork dots on the first mitt, so now I’ve ripped back and started to reknit the first mitt. Anyway, so far, so good on the reknitting:

Finally on the right track with this!

This will likely be my last post here for awhile, because we are entering the final stretch of the semester, and the next few weeks are going to be VERY busy. But I’ll keep working on the Joy Mitts when I get a chance (I’d like to give them to my friend before the Solstice!), and as always, on the current pair of DRK Everyday Socks when I need to keep my hands busy while out and about. Perhaps once grades are submitted, I can return to the Vita de Vie I started near the beginning of the semester. The other thing I hope to do once grades are submitted is a bit of sewing. I took advantage of the discount being offered over Thanksgiving to sign up for a couple of Sew Liberated’s online sewing classes – the Beyond Sewing Basics one focused on the Studio Tunic and the Fit & Sew Bodices one focused on the Hinterland Dress, and I’m looking forward to leveling up my sewing skills next year, which will be the year I turn 40!

Have a lovely December, everyone! Here’s hoping I make it through the end of the semester in one piece!

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s