sweater(s) status report

Standard

At the end of my last post, I shared a this picture:

a new sweater, and yarn to finish Honeydew.

The yarn I’m holding there is an extra partial skein of the Oceanwindknits BFL sock yarn that a kind person on Ravelry sent to me. See, I’d measured the yarn I had left before starting the sleeves, and it became clear as I was knitting the first sleeve that I would not be able to get full-length sleeves. At first, I thought I’d just make them shorter, and that’s what I did…but I did not like the way they looked as 3/4 length sleeves, and since this is going to be a toasty-warm winter sweater, I also know that I would *hate* having less-than-full-length sleeves in the winter. So I popped onto Ravelry to see if anyone might have some of this yarn, and found someone who had used all but a partial skein from the same “Pas de Valse Kit” yarn that I’d purchased all those years ago, and asked if she’d be willing to part with the leftovers. She was! So thanks to the kindness of a stranger on Ravelry, I’m going to be able to have full-length sleeves on my Honeydew. Gotta rip out the ribbing I put on originally for the 3/4 length sleeves, but I think I’ll probably have the sweater finished by the weekend!

Of course, what I haven’t said anything about yet is the (partial) sweater I’m wearing in that photo. Here’s a better look:

Beginning of a me-sized, long-sleeved version of a vest I've knit twice for M.

While figuring out what to do about Honeydew, I cast on for a me-sized, long-sleeved version of the yoked, kangaroo-pocketed vest I’ve knit twice for M. The yarn is the massive skein of Jill Draper Makes Stuff Empire that I got at the Finger Lakes Fiber Festival this past fall, and y’all, this yarn is AMAZING. I just love the way it feels in my hands. And I have found that with my shoulder in the state that it currently is (I re-aggravated the C8-T1 crap that has been a recurring issue in my left shoulder for the last 6 years), knitting on size 8 needles with aran-weight yarn is a bit more comfortable than finer-gauge stuff, at least right now. And gosh, even with knitting in nothing but short bursts, it sure knits up quickly at 4ts/6rows to an inch!!

Sweater progress

In part because of my shoulder and the resulting weirdness in my left hand (i-cord cast-ons typically are not super comfortable to perform even when I’m well!), but also because I always have a heck of a time getting the first row to look nice when I do i-cord cast-ons, I tried a slightly different approach this time: I simply cast on an i-cord (mine was 100 stitches long, because that got me the neckband circumference I wanted), and then picked up a stitch from the leg of a stitch down each round of the i-cord to start the sweater. It looks great, is very neat, and has the benefit of letting you “try on” the neckband before continuing (since it’s just an i-cord, not tethered to a needle except at the very end). I think I’ll keep doing this when I want i-cord cast-ons in the future!

Since I took these photos a few days ago, I’ve already made it past where the kangaroo-pocket will attach on the body (which I mark with a row of purl stitches, to make it very easy to know where to attach the top of the pocket when I’m putting i-cord around the edge) and am actually just about ready to split for the back bottom hem/front giant fold-up kangaroo pocket! I’m debating whether I want to turn this into a pattern when I finish – I’m going to be knitting my daughter another vest, and could see using this summer as a time to write a child-adult customizable pattern for either a sleeveless vest or long-sleeved pullover (one of several ideas I shared in a long-ago design idea brain-dump). I’m not sure, though…I just don’t have any confidence about sizing outside of the range I’m familiar with, and would not want to do a terrible job in the larger sizes. So I want to learn more about yokes and fit in larger sizes. I’m definitely open to collaboration and resource-sharing on this!