It’s a pocket!!! (It’s not actually crooked, I just spread my fingers out kind of weirdly when I snapped the photo.)
So, it turns out that I got so excited about my double-knit pockets that I couldn’t stop working on them and I actually finished them today!! I thought I’d make another post about what I did, in case it’s useful to anyone else who wants to try to modify the Farmhouse Cardigan in this way. I made another video, though this one is not so well in-focus as the ones I made yesterday, because it is a super rainy day and I also think my shiny shirt was distracting the camera’s autofocus (whoops!). But here it is:
To sum up what I did: the pattern calls for several rows of garter stitch at the top of the pocket front, so I switched from garter rib on the front pocket stitches to garter stitch for the last 7 rows. On the final wrong-side row, I switched the back stitches to garter rib, rather than stockinette, so that they’d be ready to join in with the body stitches in the garter rib pattern.
On the final row of the pocket, I did one final bit of double knitting, purling the front stitches (to create the final garter ridge) and slipping the back stitches. Then I separated the front and back, slipping the back stitches onto the lefthand working needle, and the front stitches onto a 1-size-larger DPN. Next, I picked up a stitch from the leg of the stitch neighboring the pocket and did a short 3-stitch knitted cast-on to create stitches for an i-cord bindoff, and I did the i-cord bindoff all the way across the front stitches. To finish (this part isn’t in the video, sorry!), I knit the i-cord stitches together with the first back stitch before continuing across the back stitches to complete the row.
It turned out great!
I’m so pleased that my little experiment worked, and looking forward to finishing the rest of the cardigan!