it has begun!


I said that my Fiddlehead Yoke design was next up, and I meant it. On Friday, I cast on, and as of today, I have nearly an entire sweater body!

I knit almost an entire sweater body this weekend. Lettlopi knits up so fast!

It took awhile to get going, because I am apparently spectacularly bad at counting when I’m doing a tubular cast-on. The first time, I cast on 10 too few stitches and knit almost the entire hem before realizing it. Then I cast on 20 too many (it’s the 10s place that I get messed up on, it seems), but thankfully noticed that while knitting the very first row. Third time was the charm!

Tubular cast-on, garter rib hem. Took 3 tries to actually cast on the correct number!

I ended up, after a great deal of internal debate, deciding to use 1×1 garter rib for the hems and cuffs. I considered garter stitch, and also considered doing a contrasting cast-on, but I couldn’t decide which of the yoke colors I’d use for it, and I do really like the look of garter rib. I’m still not 100% sure it was the right call, though. But I suppose if I end up deciding that it doesn’t really go with the sweater once I’ve done the yoke, I can always rip out the hems/cuffs and do something different. I also considered doing the yoke first, top-down, but decided to use the more traditional bottom-up approach for this one. I’m kinda kicking myself over that, because I’m desperate to see what the yoke actually looks like knit up, but patience, patience, self, you’ll get there.

I’ve made some revisions to my yoke charts, mostly because I realized that given the row gauge I’m getting, my yoke was going to be far too tall. I looked at a few of the Lettlopi-based yoked sweater patterns that I own, and got a better sense for what a realistic number of rows in a yoke might be, and I’m pretty tickled with my charts now.

Considering how quickly the body came together, and the fact that we’ve got a road trip coming up at the end of the week (we’re going to Ohio to visit my in-laws for Memorial Day weekend), I very well might have a new sweater in the next week or two. Wow! Worsted weight knits up so fast compared to the sport weight I was using for my Elle Melle (which, by the way, is entirely finished except for end-weaving, blocking, and zipper-installation!).

Snuggling my Lopi sweater-in-progress.

I haven’t steeked a sweater in nearly a decade, so I’m a bit nervous about that part, but I know people put steeks in lopapeysas all the time, so I’ll just have to be brave!


oh, hey, i can knit again!


This Spring semester has been pretty brutal on a whole bunch of levels, but now I’M DONE! I submitted and sealed my grades today, which means now I’m down to just the baseline level of research/meetings, which means I CAN KNIT AGAIN! And the first thing on my to-do list was knitting sleeve #2 of my grown-up Elle Melle. I finished it last night, and then moved onto the neckline this morning, and look, it’s almost finished!

Just button bands left to do!

Just button bands left to knit (and then a whole lot of end-weaving), but that’ll take some math, and I might need my brain to recover from non-stop final portfolio grading a bit before I’m up for that.

Almost done!

Still pretty darn tickled with how this is turning out. I did some short-rows at the neckline to contour it a bit, like I did with M’s Elle Melle, and I’m pretty happy with how it looks:

Almost done!

Look at the pretty raglan line!

Pretty raglan shoulder

I actually had been doing a little bit of knitting during the last couple of weeks of the semester, but it needed to be small and portable and relatively mindless…

A bigger hat for Miro

…like this 2×2 rib hat. It’s a replacement for the hat I knit for a friend’s baby. That hat got lost, and since baby had grown in the meantime, I made his hat a bit bigger. I know it looks impossibly narrow in the first photo, but it really does stretch!

Very stretchy!

It even stretches to fit MY head!

Proof that it stretches to fit my head!

But here’s what it’ll really look like:

What it'll actually look like.

I have SO many knitting plans for this summer, friends…far too many to actually make happen, given that I’ve got research work and travel and upcoming jury duty and cleaning up/clearing out our oh-so-messy house both inside and out (a 1000sqft house plus 3 people, one of whom creates an entire living-room full of art/engineering projects on a weekly basis, and the other two of whom work full time and are too tired to do much cleaning, can get *awfully* bad if neglected for most of the span of that first one’s life). But the next thing on my list, once I finish Elle Melle, is my Fiddlehead Yoke cardigan. I’ve got the yarn, I’ve got the design mapped out…it is GOING to happen this summer!