Finished sweater alert!
Last weekend, I wove in the ends on M’s new Red Stripe Pullover (with Pockets!), and had planned to block it immediately, but SOMEONE was so excited about her new sweater that she put it on immediately…
…and proceeded to wear it for the next 5 straight days, including Monday, when she came along with me to Knitting Guild, to show off her new knitting skills to my table full of friends!
She also came up to the front with me to show off her new sweater during “Show and Tell”, which was very fun. That’s actually what prompted her to ask if she could come with me – I mentioned wanting to show off her sweater during “Show and Tell”, and this kid is SO excited about “Show and Tell” at her school that she couldn’t bear the thought of missing a “Show and Tell”, so she said she’d help me. We weren’t able to stay for very long (because Guild goes past her bedtime), and I didn’t actually get to knit at all, but it was so wonderful to share this special part of my life with her!
I’m so pleased with how it turned out, though if I knit another (which I might, because I do kinda want to write a pattern for this, and some parts were sort of “fly by the seat of my pantsish” for this prototype version), there are a few things I’d change…I didn’t quite get the shoulder width right, and I think the armholes should’ve been one “stripe-repeat” longer for a somewhat roomier fit to match the roomy fit I was aiming for (and achieved) in the body. I’d probably make the split hem (see below) even longer in back. I also did not make the pockets big enough, as M demonstrates below:
But hey, for a prototype, it’s pretty great, and I kinda want to make one for myself, though I’m undecided as to whether I’d make a me-sized version in Sport Weight or if I’d go up to Worsted Weight to get a similar “scale” to the stitches relative to my size. Here are some detail shots…
I’m most proud of that last detail, because I struggling to figure out a way to mirror the contrasting i-cord edges that I’d used at the cuffs and hem, but knew I couldn’t just use i-cord (because pullover collars need to be stretchy!). I decided, once I’d finished the dark red garter, to join the light pink and set up a 1×1 rib tubular bind-off, and it worked beautifully! A nice contrast edge, but with all the stretch M could ever need.
I’m a lucky mama knitter to have a kid who is so enthusiastic about wearing all the woolen goodies I make for her!
Ravelry Project Page
Pattern: created in collaboration with M, though I used Elizabeth’s Doherty’s “Top Down” book for technique advice
Yarn: Beaverslide Dry Goods 2-ply Sport/Sock, less than 1 skein each in “Winter Rosehip” and “Hollyhock Heather”
Needles: size 4 (circulars and DPNs)
Time to Knit: a little over a month