I decided to use the leftovers from M’s hat to make her a pair of matching mittens. I traced M’s hand, and used it as a “template”, knitting the mitten from the top down:
They were a really quick knit…I was soon onto mitten #2:
The mittens have a row of eyelets above a short-rowed garter stitch cuff. The eyelets aren’t simply decorative – I intended to run a string through them so that I could tie the mittens together and string them through the sleeves of M’s jacket.
The thumb was created by casting on some stitches using the backwards loop method, and then picking up the cast-on loops and knitting upward – you can’t even tell where the picked up stitches are, I swear!
The short-rowed garter stitch cuff was designed to mimic the short-rowed garter stitch brim of M’s hat, and it’s split on the side to make for easier on-off. The cuff is edged in i-cord, just like the hat that inspired it.
She loves her mittens, and wanted to wear them all the time this weekend!
Sadly, one of them has already gone missing – I (stupidly!) let her wear them to school yesterday morning. I’d meant to thread the string through them first so that they couldn’t get lost, but just plain forgot…and she came home with one last night. The missing one may still turn up somewhere, but for now, I think I’ll knit a third one…and she definitely isn’t going to get to wear them anywhere until they’re tied together! Actually, I think I’ll treat mitten #3 as a test-knit for writing up a pattern – I’d like to publish a pattern of “recipes” for the hat and mitten set, because they’re super cute, very practical and also quick knits!
Important last-minute addendum: the missing mitten has been found!
It was in her teacher’s bag – M must have put it in there yesterday. Sneaky kiddo! I’m so relieved that I don’t need to knit her a third one – tonight I’ll make up a crochet-chain to attach the mittens to each other (and thread them through her jacket sleeves) so that we don’t have a lost-mitten scare like this again!