So, I’ve been knitting a few rounds on the Min Ulla mittens every morning while I’m at my desk, and now that I’ve knit a few inches, I’m coming to a realization…
…I’m not very good at knitting colorwork. This is probably mostly due the fact that I haven’t actually knit a stranded colorwork project in about 3 years, if Ravelry is to be believed. I guess that’s not all that surprising – while I do love the look of a lot of stranded projects, I’m a sucker for texture, so the lace/nupp/cable/etc stuff is going to suck me in almost every time. I’m also utterly and completely incapable of holding a strand of yarn in my right hand (oh, believe me, I have tried), so I’m stuck holding both yarns in the same hand, which makes things a bit slower/harder for me – hence my tendency to go for stripes when I want colors, rather than for actual stranding. In any case, my gauge is pretty sloppy, and it’s especially terrible at the end-of-round, and even more so where I switch colors, as you can see in the photo.
But I want these mittens like crazy, so I’m going to work at it. I need to rip down into the green motif, to the point before the gauge starts going too wacky, and see if I can do better. I also want to rethink my decision to add my own thumb shaping, since I think that’s also causing some of the gauge issues (you can’t probably tell in the photo, but I’ve been trying to increase on either side of the end-of-round to create my thumb). I may just give the called-for peasant-thumb a try on these mittens, despite my usual preference for “out-the-side” thumbs.
In non-knitting news, I started teaching the Spring section of my freshman writing class yesterday, and it’s amazing what a semester of experience will do. I feel completely and utterly competent now, and had a great time with the first day of class. Here’s hoping that feeling can last through the semester!