I’d hoped to have a very exciting post for y’all today. I spent 4 hours yesterday knitting the second sleeve of my husband’s sweater, and was excited to be so close to finishing…until he tried it on. And now this is what I have to share:
Those balls of yarn are what used to be the Cambridge Jacket. Crap. It was just terribly unflattering, we both agreed. The body of the sweater was snug, and the sleeves were huge; even though I’d tried to mitigate that problem (which I’d heard about from others who knit the pattern) by putting the pattern’s directions aside and knitting sleeves down from the top, the fact is that the armhole in that pattern, at least in the smaller sizes, is just too big. The only way I could have fixed things would have been to rip all the way back to before the armholes on both the fronts and back, and knit them to be shorter, and we decided that if I was going to do all that work, it made more sense to just start from scratch.
So, I’m going to be designing a sweater to fit my husband perfectly. It’ll probably be somewhat similar in silhouette to what the magazine photos of the Cambridge Jacket led me to believe it would be. I’m confident I can do this. I have far more knowledge about sweater design than I did over a year ago, when I first cast-on for this sweater (no, the knitting did not take over a year…it languished in the bottom of my knitting bag for extended periods), and better skills, too. And the beautiful thing about yarn is that you can knit something up, decide it’s crap, rip it out, and be back to where you started. The yarn is still there. It’s just time that’s been lost, which is frustrating, but not the end of the world. I’d much rather spend the time to make a sweater he’d actually want to wear, than to finish up one that has no chance of ever being worn.