I totally wore myself out with my spinning escapades this morning (it doesn’t take much to totally wear me out right now, though), so I barely have the energy to write a blog post, but I’m just so giddy about this that I have to post something:
I made useable yarn! This morning (day four of my spinning career) I started back up where I’d left off yesterday, and got my spindle pretty full (that’s the picture on the top left). I’m really proud of how relatively even my last two days of spinning has been…it’s a pretty solid heavy worsted weight. I decided I wanted to give plying another go, so I wound what I had into a center-pull ball, and plied from both ends. It’s not the world’s most even plying job, but it actually worked out pretty well, and when I skeined it up, it hung all nicely and balanced. So I was naughty, and didn’t set my twist….I know, I know, but it was only like, 10 yards of yarn, and I really just wanted to play around with knitting it up. After I plied, it became a delightfully fluffy super-bulky, knitting up at about 2sts/inch. I made a useless little strip of stockinette (with a garter ridge, just because I felt like it), which I will proudly hang on to as my first object knitted with yarn I made all by myself.
Oh, and lest anyone worry that this is turning into a spinning blog, I am most definitely still knitting. The problem is, my current project looks like this:
It’s going to be gorgeous, but there’s only so many times I can post a picture of a lump of lace. I did my best to try to spread it out, but there’s just too much on the needles right now:
At least in that picture you can sort of see the center panel of ferns, though they’re sort of squished. I’ve only got a couple more ferns to go, and then I’m on to the border lace. I can’t wait until I get this finished and can block it out all the way…and then see it on my lovely future sister-in-law. The wedding is less than a month away now, so I won’t have to wait long (but I need to get cranking, because the rows just keep getting longer).