(or, um, it was when I started this post. But then I got tired and went to bed. And now it’s Saturday. Amazing!)
First of all, thanks SO MUCH to everyone who’s commented on Cobblestone and Demi. I’m doing my best to reply to comments, but thanks to classes, I’m sort of at my limit, energy-wise. That, and for some reason I’m not getting comment notification emails for some of them. So please know that I really, truly appreciate all y’all’s comments, even if I’ve not replied to you yet.
Mai asked if I would mind sharing my modifications for Cobblestone. I most certainly don’t mind! I didn’t keep very good notes, though, but here is what I remember (please let me know if this doesn’t make sense, as I’m somewhat braindead at the end of the week!):
- For the body: To get a 35-inch sweater, I cast on 156 stitches (this was based on my gauge with my yarn, which was just a smidge fatter than the suggested yarn). In general, if you want to use these directions, you should pick the nearest even number to the one needed to get the measurement you desire. I followed the directions for knitting the 2-inch garter hem, and established 14-stitch garter rectangles on each side as directed in the pattern, with 64 stitches of stockinette between them on each side. To do the waist-shaping, I decreased just inside each edge of each garter ridge, decreasing from those original 14 stitches to 4 stitches. I decreased every 4th round, because I am pretty short-waisted…how often you’ll want to decrease will depend on how much length there is between your hip and your waist. I knit 3 inches even, and then increased just inside each edge of each garter ridge, every 4th round (again, this ratio will depend on your height and such), until I had 14 garter stitches on each side again. Then I just knit round and round until I reached the height I needed for the body to reach my armpit.
- For the sleeves: To get a narrower bottom of the sleeve, I cast-on 40 stitches. I knit 2 inches of hem, and then, so that I could mirror the garter strips in the body, established a 1 stitch on either side of my end-of-round marker in garter. I did all of my increases as directed in the pattern for the smallest size, increasing just inside the edge of the garter band instead of on either side of my marker until I had 14 stitches in garter, and then increased 3 more times just outside each edge of the garter strip, in stockinette, until my sleeve was 19 inches long (I have long arms, so this was just about as long as called for in the original pattern). I ended up with 58 stitches at the top of the sleeve.
- For the yoke: Here, I was just sort of flying by the seat of my pants. For the striping, I purled with the bright green, and knit with the blue, except during the shortrows, where I was knitting on the inside of the sweater and thus switched that around. At the center back, where you switch from knit to purl each round, I either knit or purled both colors together on the first stitch of the round, depending on whether it was a knit or purl round. If you try to do the striping like I did and you don’t do something like that, you get holes and ugliness. What I remember about shaping the yoke is that I placed the Short Row Markers at the end of the first sleeve and beginning of the second sleeve as directed in the pattern, ignoring the stitch counts (since mine were different). I then followed directions, but left out the first set of short-rows (so, I started mine by knitting 8 stitches past the marker instead of 12). I also followed directions as to when to decrease, but on the second decrease round, I did k3, k2tog around the round, instead of k2 k2tog as in the pattern, because I had fewer stitches to begin with and the latter would have resulted in a yoke that squished my shoulders. For the next short row section, I did my short rows at 24 and 28 stitches, respectively, and again left out one of the shortrows (because, as a petite female, I don’t have quite as much back to try to cover as a guy does!). I stopped striping on the 4 rows of stockinette at the collar, and knit that in blue. On the last decrease round, so as not to make a collar that wouldn’t go over my head, I did k12, k2tog instead of what the pattern directed. I bound off using the bright green, and that’s that!
I hope that’s helpful for anyone who is looking to feminize this sweater! I have a few other things I want to show off, while I’m posting. First of all, thanks to a schedule that allows me to work and rest from home most Fridays, a certain pair of mittens have been started:
Yep, I’ve started the Escheresque Mittens! 104 stitches on size 00 dpns, cast-on using the Twisted German Cast-On (which I think makes a fabulous base for corrugated ribbing), and then corrugated ribbing (or rather, the modified version of it that appears in Eunny’s Anemoi mittens). It took me awhile to get to this point, but now it’s smooth sailing. Just in case anyone was wondering, when you’re casting on a bajillion stitches on tiny dpns, it really helps to count. Um, just sayin’. Oh, and that paper in the background…that’s the reading I’m going to presenting in class on Monday. I really was working, see!
(I also went a bit camera-crazy yesterday, and have a bunch more stuff to share, but for that, you’ll have to come back later…)