Yesterday we wound up having to get our car towed to the shop for repairs that wound up costing more money than I actually had in my bank account (a HUGE thank-you to my mother, for giving us a hand with the costs!). Basically, our car is 12 years old and still had quite a few original parts, which were really past due to crap out on us…and I think the yucky up-and-down swing the weather has taken the past few days was enough to push them over the edge, so that the car wouldn’t go anywhere until we had them fixed. Luckily, I remembered to bring my knitting bag with me when we hopped on the tow-truck, because we wound up sitting around for several hours in the front room of the shop (unfortunately, neither I nor my husband remembered to bring our cell phones, which made getting in touch with my mother quite the adventure). I’d thought I had the yarn/needles to start my husband’s second sock, but apparently I’d put them in a drawer, so the only thing in the bag was Demi. I made a fair amount of progress, considering how tired I was. I’m almost up to the armhole shaping:
I am still madly in love with this sweater. I am so, so glad that I decided to ditch Retro Prep and knit Demi instead. Sometimes ripping is totally worth it (oh, speaking of ripping, Erin, I’ll get the Rowanspun DK sent out to you on Monday…this week was just such a mess what with the car and being sick and everything).
I actually did make it into the office yesterday despite the car debacle, and had a really good research meeting (which was interrupted partway through, during which time I inadvertently took a nap at my desk…this exhaustion thing is just killing me!). I’m going to have to go in sometime this weekend to actually do some of the stuff we talked about, though, because I was just too tired to even think about it by the time we were done. Instead, I had my husband come bring me home, where he helped me to wash, block, and pin the parts of mom’s Rogue before I totally crashed for the night around 8:30pm. I don’t have a picture of this process…just picture the one I showed of my own Rogue blocking, with a slightly bigger, dark-green Rogue, and maybe you’ll realize why there’s no picture: a dark green sweater blocking on dark green towels doesn’t really look like much.
My husband had the absolutely brilliant idea of putting the box fan in the room where the pieces were blocking, and I think that plus the fact that the air in our apartment is really dry from running the heat worked wonders. The pieces were actually dry when I went to check on them this morning! So I brought them downstairs, where I took a couple of pictures. Here’s the one with flash:
The yarn has such a sheen to it that it just winds up reflecting the flash and looking really washed out. So I tried taking one without the flash:
Blurry, but much closer in color (though it’s still too light. It’s a very, very dark green). I really wish I could learn more about photography, so that my pictures could be better, but I simply don’t have the time right now. One of these days, I will.
I had intended to start weaving in the ends (as you can see, there are lots of them, but I wanted to wait until after blocking because I knew the pieces would grow) and setting in the sleeves. However, a certain someone decided that they liked “The Knitter’s Book of Finishing Techniques” even more than I do. And I wouldn’t want to disturb my sleeping beauty:
That’s Ren, one of our two orange-tabby brothers. See, even cats love Nancie Wiseman! So I guess I will have to just wait until later to get those sleeves set in. Hopefully by the end of the weekend, I will be able to count this Rogue amongst my finished projects. Maybe I’ll even be able to get my mom to pose for a photo while she’s here visiting (they arrive next Friday). Wish me luck!