In my last post, I promised that a post about my dubblemossa was soon to come. It’s extra sad that I’ve not yet posted it, since I’ve had the post almost entirely written up for several days, since I had written it up to explain the concept to a friend this weekend. Blame it on grad school, I guess.
The friend who wanted to know more about this hat was an early recipient of the “Whitney Hat”, which I may post about here as well, if anyone is interested. While I am quite fond of my “Whitney Hats”, I’ve always had a little trouble with them being a bit loose around the ears, which takes away from the double-thick warmth that the rest of the hat provides. So when I saw an example of the “dubbelmossa”1 concept (via Lauren, to give credit where credit is due), I was intrigued. Last fall, I knit myself one, but it was unfortunately chewed on by Stimpy before I got much wear out of it. I just got around to taking a picture, but I’ve not fixed it up yet.
Essentially, what you make is a tube that is closed on both ends; it’s two hats, connected seamlessly at their brims. Here’s what it looks like, laid flat:
Then you tuck one of the ends inside the other, which forms a double-thick hat. Then, you fold the brim up to cover your ears, giving you a nice, snug, quadruple thick ear covering. Traditionally, it is knit in a two-color pattern, which means that each layer is already double-thick, in a manner of speaking, since there are two strands of yarn per layer (but it is also traditionally made of a much lighter weight yarn than what I used, which was a worsted weight, namely, some lovely Artyarns Supermerino I was given as a gift). I knit it on somewhat smaller than called for needles (I believe I knit it on size 5s) so that it would lock all cold air out as much as possible. Here’s what that looks like, off my head:
And here is what it looks like, on me (I had to be very careful, putting it on, so as not to pull on the stitches that Stimpy had cut through with his teeth):
And that, y’all, is a very warm hat.
1. I spelled it as if it were German in my Flickr pages, and still haven’t fixed it.